Lunch and Learn - School Touring Training ProgramStarts: Wed, Feb 1, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Ends: Wed, Mar 1, 2023 1:30 PM CST
Become a Member Now
School Touring Committee:
Volunteers who join the School Touring Committee will have the opportunity to enthuse middle school and high school students about STEM subjects in Houston and surrounding areas. The outreach program will allow you to engage with students by talking about your personal career path, participating in classroom exercises, and presenting materials about ocean, earth, and space science topics.
These lunch and learn trainings will be from 12pm to 1.30pm. We will provide lunch for any volunteers attending with a prior RSVP. You do not have to be an expert in these fields to present this material. You do need to be comfortable in standing up and presenting to a class of young teenagers and be interested in the subject matter.
These trainings will be prep for Middle School ‘Seeing with Sound’ and ‘Geology Rocks’.
- Seeing with Sound Thurs Feb 9th and Weds Feb 22nd
- Geology Rocks Weds Feb 15th and Weds Mar 1st.
Seeing with Sound - Exploring the oceans and seas
- STEM highlights: Exploration, discovery, ocean science, acoustic waves, remote sensing, physics, math, robotics, environmental, oceanography, marine biology, marine archaeology, history, career opportunities. Can include a historic shipwreck mapping exercise.
- Taught by Marine Geophysicists, Ocean Scientists, Geotechnical Engineers, Marine Archaeologists, Marine Project Managers
- STEM highlights: Geology, seismicity, volcanics, mineralogy, chemistry, physics, paleontology, career opportunities. Includes video and interactive discussion of the Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami
- Taught by Geologists, Civil Engineers, Earth Scientists, Archaeologists
Dates: Each Wednesday in February - 1st, 9th, 15th and 22nd
Time: 12 – 1:30 (Lunch is provided)
Location: In Person - Ocean Geo Solutions Inc (OGS)
8399 Westview, Suite 200
Houston, Texas, 77055
Committee Contact Person: ANDREW HAIGH
Contact Email: email@example.com
School Touring Volunteers Q&A:
- How do you prepare for presentations? Prior to presenting, you will be invited to attend a training led by committee chair, Andrew Haigh. In addition, we will share the presentation with you in advance so that you may review the material in your spare time.
- What is the expected commitment time? Each presentation typically runs for about 40-50 minutes. We ask that you try to commit a day or minimum of 1/2 a day at one of our planned school touring events.
- What background knowledge do you need? There is no strict requirement, but a basic science background is necessary. We have had accepted volunteers with various backgrounds including ocean scientists, astronomers, archaeologists, civil engineers, geologists, marine project managers, geophysicists, and more.
Donate to SUT
Add this Event to your
TicketsThis Event is FREE to attend