Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships
2020 SUT-US Scholarship Recipients:
2019 Scholarship Recipients
|2018 Scholarship Recipients||2017 Scholarship Recipients|
|2016 Scholarship Recipients||2015 Scholarship Recipients|
The Society for Underwater Technology’s Educational Support Fund offers sponsorship awards to undergraduate or graduate students pursuing a course of studies which highlight at least one relevant component area of marine science, underwater technology, or offshore engineering. In addition, applicants are welcomed from mainline engineering courses where students can demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in the marine field.
The scholarship award is an annual award. It can be openly granted to any student whose career goals are in line with the objectives stated above, irrespective of age, nationality or gender. $3,000 awarded to each eligible college student.
The following eligibility requirements shall be met by applicants for the SUT-US Undergraduate/Graduate Scholarship Award:
- Applicant must be at least a rising sophomore (someone completing the first half of their sophomore academic year of full-time college work), and must continue as a full-time student while receiving this scholarship. Note, you must be enrolled in to be eligible for the scholarship. If a student graduates and is not enrolled in the Spring semester, they will not be eligible to receive the second disbursement.
- Applicant shall be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Applicant does not have to be an SUT student member in good standing to apply, BUT must become one before receiving a scholarship.
- Applicant’s scholarship plan shall be such as to provide entry into some field of science or engineering encompassed by the technical activities of the SUT.
- Sophomores and juniors who receive an SUT scholarship award are eligible for yearly continuation of the awards (until completion of their senior year) provided they maintain at least the equivalent of a 3.3 on a 4.0 scale, have excellent references, and submit well designed career goals in line with objectives stated above. It should be stressed that regardless of GPA, renewal is not automatic. To apply for renewal, an individual must submit a completed application, career essay, official transcript and three (3) letters of recommendation. At least one of these letters must be from a professor from the student’s university or college.
- Applicants may be students of any nationality, unrestricted by the US State Department, and in full-time study at any accredited college or university within the United States.
The recipient of an SUT-US scholarship award will be selected on the basis of the following criteria which are listed in order of importance:
- Career Goals – This criterion will be evaluated by assessment of a 500-1000 word typewritten essay. The essay should specify the career objectives of the applicant and should outline the academic program required to achieve those career objectives.
- Recommendations – Each new applicant must include no more and no less than three (3) typewritten letters of recommendation. Individuals seeking renewal shall comply with the requirements outlined above in item six (6) of the section entitled “Eligibility.” Recommendations from relatives will not be accepted. All letters of recommendation may be attached to the application or sent directly to the Director of Scholarship Programs at SUT at the address listed below in item three (3) of the section entitled “Administration of the Scholarship Program.” Recommendations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2020. Any application or recommendations emailed after this date will not be considered.
- Extracurricular Activities – Each applicant’s high school, college and community activities, offices, awards and work experience will receive due consideration.
- Optional Information – A copy of the applicant’s latest SAT or ACT score report is optional. This request is not essential for candidate eligibility.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
- General – The SUT-US Branch committee or a subcommittee thereof, will act as the Scholarship Program Committee and will be responsible for selecting the recipients of the awards. SUT-US Branch office shall serve as the custodian and disbursing agency for the scholarship funds and will be responsible for handling the administrative details of the program.
- Publicity – The Scholarship Award Program will be publicized via the SUT-US Branch website, and through colleges and universities. The award program is also planned to be publicized in other appropriate national publications which list the various scholarship programs and awards that are available to students. The scholarship application form will be distributed to participating educational institutions.
Submittal of Applications – The completed application (including official transcript, essay, etc.) must be emailed to email@example.com by June 1, 2020, for consideration for the 2020 fall quarter or semester. Students submitting their applications should include the essay mentioned herein under “Selection Criteria” and also make arrangements to have their official college transcripts emailed to SUT-US. Sophomore and junior students who have received one of these scholarship awards and wish to be considered for continuation of this award should arrange to have transcripts of their college academic record, and letters of recommendation from their faculty members and others supporting their continuance in the program sent to SUT-US.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to have a completed application package emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline date. We recommend that all letters of reference be sent by the applicant with the rest of the application package.
- Selection of Award Recipient – The decision of the SUT-US Scholarship Committee is considered to be final and all candidates will be advised of the outcome by June 28, 2020 for the following fall semester or quarter.
- Disbursement of the Scholarship Award – Disbursement of the scholarship award shall be made in the form of a check in the name of the recipient and sent to the address provided on the recipient’s application. Awards will be made in two equal payments, one at the start of the fall semester, and the second at the start of the spring semester. If the recipient is deemed ineligible to re-enroll at the institution for any cause, the second payment will not be awarded.
- Restrictions – Anyone involved in an SUT-US Committee is not eligible for this scholarship.
- Please type all information.
- Please read the entire application form and attachment carefully. Failure to follow the instructions precisely will result in disqualification.
- If additional space is required, please continue information on a separate sheet.
Deadline for submission of applications for the 2020-2021 academic years is June 1, 2020. Any application emailed after this date will not be considered.
Upcoming Events 2021
Membership available for students, individuals and corporations